Work for Water
The Work for Water committee's objective is to enhance the visibility and image of careers in the water and wastewater industry to students, the public, and career counselors. The Chair of the committee is appointed jointly by the leadership of VA AWWA and VWEA. Other members are recommended by the committee Chair and approved by the VA AWWA and VWEA leadership. All committee members must belong to VA AWWA and/or VWEA. For a listing of Committee officers, please select the Contact tab located above.
The following is a list of duties performed by the Work for Water Committee:
- Serve as liaison with the AWWA Workforce Strategies Committee and WEF Public Communications Committee.
- Contact school districts throughout Virginia to identify career counselor directors and determine the nature and schedule for career exploration programs in each school district.
- Create and maintain career fair exhibit and presentation materials.
- Participates in elementary, middle and high school career fairs. Participate in selected career fairs for adults at workforce centers, community colleges, community events. Facilitate close ties between local utilities and schools.
- Makes presentations to career counselors and provides them with resource materials about careers in the water and wastewater industry.
- Conduct seminars, workshops, and webinars to educate association members about workforce issues and new programs to enhance recruitment and training of water and wastewater employees.
- Provide articles to VA AWWA and VWEA newsletters and web pages about committee activities and to further the duties of the committee.