Water Resources & Environment
The Water Resources and Environment Committee is charged with promoting awareness regarding the development, protection, and stewardship of water resources in Virginia. It monitors and participates in the Commonwealth's legislative and regulatory process as it relates to environmental management and water resources, and actively disseminates information on water resources and relevant regulatory activity to the drinking water industry, often by contributing articles to the Virginia Section magazine. Every two years, the committee also hosts a seminar on emerging issues relating to water resources.
The Committee's objectives are to:
- Promote the exchange of information on water resource issues between utilities, industries, local and state governmental agencies, academic institutions, and consulting firms.
- Encourage dissemination of experiences in resolving water resource problems through publications and presentations.
- Promote the inclusion of water resource and environmental topics at the Annual Meeting.
- Develop, sponsor and promote a seminar in alternate years to present and discuss timely water resource and environmental topics of interest to members of the Virginia Section.
It's goals for 2018 are to:
- Increase and retain membership, encourage participation and improve diversity.
- Participate effectively in the legislative and regulatory process.
- Promote education, professional development, training, and technology exchange programs.
- Increase public awareness of water resources issues.
- Promote sound environmental efforts to help protect public health.
- Review and adjust committee focus as needed to meet changing dynamics in water resources areas of interest.
2015 Water Supply Seminar - Presentations
Impacts of Changing Regulations On Water Availability, Andrea Wortzel, Troutman Sanders, LLP
2015 Water Supply Seminar - Keynote, John Aulbach
Case Study: Cobbs Creek Reservoir Planning, Permitting, and Design, Bill Mawyer, Paul Peterson
Bench-Scale vs Full-Scale Treatment of Cyanobacteria and Their Toxins, Dr. Judy Westrick
- Conference Presentation - High Altitude View of Watershed Protection - Stephen Schoenholtz
- Conference Presentation - Chesapeake Bay TMDL and Water Supply - Chris Pomeroy
- Conference Presentation - Forests to Faucets Managing Forests In a Municipal Water Supply Watershed - Buck Kline
- Conference Presentation - Reservoir Development for Sustainable River Management - Cobbs Creek Reservoir - Paul Peterson
- Conference Presentation - Occoquan Reservoir Source Water Protection and Planning - Niffy Saji
- Conference Presentation - Monitoring and Modeling Support of Management Activities in the Occoquan Watershed - Tom Grizzard
- Conference Presentation - Albemarle County Virginia Protecting Our Water Supply - Mark Graham