Welcome to the Education Committee page:
The objective of the Education Committee is to promote the educational, professional development, training and technology exchange programs for the Virginia Section. The Education Committee reports to the Chair-Elect.
The Education Committee sponsors, co-sponsors, coordinates and/or provides support for the following assignments/projects:
- Regional Training Webinars: The VA AWWA Education committee offers low-cost training webinars, typically in a convenient 1-hour format. Operator CPEs may be offered for qualifying presentations. However, engineering CECs are provided for all presentations.
- Promote operator training: By sponsoring the annual Operators Short Course Scholarship.
- Promote Regulatory Knowledge and Training: Liaison with Virginia Department of Health, Office of Drinking Water to support training on any pending or new drinking water regulations.
- CPE Credits: Provide review of technical abstracts submitted for conferences and seminars to determine qualification for Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits.
- Speakers Bureau: Develop and maintain a speaker’s bureau for other committees to use in planning training events.
Application for CPE Credits
If you are planning a training event and wish to apply for CPE credits in advance, please note the following procedures:
- Procedures to Apply for CPE Credits
- DPOR Evaluation Criteria
To view/download previous Webinars, please select the Conference Information tab above.
Webinar: Catalyzing Change within the Utility Workforce
April 25, 2018
Change Management Essentials - Gian Cossa, Asset Manager, DC Water **Note: This presentation was not released by speaker for further distribution.
Succession Planning: It's Easier Than You Think - Margie Hamner, CPLP, ACC Starfish Consulting
Water Utility Resiliency and Preparedness Webinar
January 24, 2018
Historic Flooding of October 2015: Impact and Recovery for the City of Columbia, SC - Clint Shealy, Assistant City Manager, City of Columbia (SC)
Water Infrastructure Resiliency Planning for the City of Norfolk - Cherryl Barnett, Engineering Manager, City of Norfolk (VA)
Lessons Learned from Raw Water Contamination Events Webinar
November 1, 2017
Lessons Learned from the Recent Oil Spill in the Potomac River - Joel Thompson, Director of Production, Fairfax Water
Regulatory Perspective on Raw Water Contamination Events in Virginia - Alan Lacy, Pollution Response Coordinator, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
Nitrification Monitoring and Control Webinar
April 5, 2017
Understanding Nitrification: Nitrification Chemistry and Factors that Influence Monitoring and Control - Ben Klayman, Black & Veatch
Implementation of a PAX Mixing System for Nitrification Control - Cathy Cogswell, Loudoun Water
Local and National Update on Lead Issues in the Water Industry
November 3, 2016
National Perspective on Lead - Jeanne Bennett-Bailey, AWWA
LCR Long Term Revisions - Jim Moore, VDH
Webinar: Distribution System Flushing from the Perspective of a Water Utility
July 11, 2016
Development of an Effective Flushing Program - Meg Roberts, Associate at Hazen and Sawyer
Implementing a New Uni-Directional Flushing Program - Bentley Chan, Operation Division Director, Henrico Department of Public Utilities
State of Water Infrastructure Webinar
December 2, 2015
"Buried No Longer" in the Region and the US - Dr. Kevin Morley, American Water Works Association
How to Perform Condition Assessment of Water Piping Systems - Dr. Ahmad Habibian, CDM Smith
Water Asset Replacement and Rehabilitation Techniques - Chris Schuler, Miller Pipeline
AWWA's Solutions (Standards and Manuals) - Dr. Ken Mercer, American Water Works Association